In order to drive on UK roads, you must have valid vehicle insurance. Within vehicle insurance there are many different branches of insurance – all for different insurance purposes. The legal minimum in the UK for vehicle insurance is third party. This means that you will be covered if you have an accident which causes damage or injury to another person. Third party insurance will not cover any other costs, like repair to your own vehicle.
Driving Without Vehicle Insurance
It is illegal to drive a vehicle on a road or public place in the UK without a minimum of third party insurance. Unlike other countries, such as America, even if the car itself is insured; if you are not properly insured then you could be penalised.
If you are caught driving without vehicle insurance, you could be fined a penalty of £300 and given 6 penalty points. The consequences could be more serious if you are taken to court, you could get:
- an unlimited fine
- disqualified from driving
More than just this, the police may be able to seize and destroy the vehicle that is being driven uninsured.
What is Vehicle Insurance?
Vehicle insurance covers you if you are involved in a vehicle accident. It is a legal requirement in the UK. If you are driving any type of vehicle in the UK, you absolutely need insurance. If you are caught driving without vehicle insurance, then you could face a hefty fine or a driving ban.
Vehicle insurance is there to cover the cost of injury and damage to property, people, animals or vehicles which are affected by an accident your vehicle is involved in. The level of cover and compensation you are entitled to is different between policies so when selecting any type of vehicle insurance, make sure you read the small print and are happy with all the final details. Once you have agreed on your policy, you will be unable to change anything after an accident.
Levels of Vehicle Insurance
Finding the right level of vehicle insurance for you is something which depends on your circumstances. The most common types of car insurance are:
- Third party only – the minimum legal requirement. This will only cover the cost of compensating other people who are affected by your accident. This will not provide you with any financial support for injury/damage to yourself or your vehicle. Third party insurance is typically taken out on older cars which cost less to buy outright, therefore if you completely write the car off, you have not lost out on a huge amount of money. This type of policy is common amongst first time drivers who are inexperienced when it comes to road history. Although you may get a cheaper quote, this is reflected in the cover you are provided with. Think carefully before getting third party insurance as you are covered for very little.
- Third party fire & theft – Same as above but will also provide you with compensation if your car is damaged as a result of fire, theft or is stolen. Third party fire and theft is typically selected by those who want more advanced cover without having to pay the additional costs of comprehensive cover. This is a popular choice if the car being insured is low in value but you still want cover in case the worst should happen.
- Comprehensive – this is the whole package and will cover you for all of the above, as well as damage or injury to yourself and vehicle as a result of an accident. Depending on the policy, it may provide you with compensation for medical treatment, legal bills or accidental damage. The cover you receive on your fully comprehensive policy is dependent on the driver and the details you provide. There are many add-ons to comprehensive policies including breakdown cover; this will ensure you are fully covered when on the road.
Car insurance is the most common type of vehicle insurance in the UK. Car insurance can provide you with cover if your car is involved in an accident. Anyone who owns a car will need insurance of some kind. The lowest level of cover being third party insurance. If you use your car for extensive business use, then a different type of policy may be more suitable for you. If you use your car for normal day to day activities, then car insurance should be fine. There are many branches of car insurance, some of which are detailed below. The best type of car insurance for you will be dependent on your own personal circumstances. Vehicle insurance comes in many forms so before you take out a policy, consider what you really need covered.
Other Types of Vehicle Insurance
Within the category of vehicle insurance, there are many other types of insurance which are more specific than car insurance. Some of the most common types of other vehicle insurance are:
Classic Car Insurance
Classic cars are a hobby for many and are treasured vehicles to their owners. Classic car insurance is a specific type of vehicle insurance which seeks to protect these and recognise the value of a classic car. When looking at classic car insurance you need to be sure that your car can qualify as classic. In order to assess this, you can fill out a quick quote form. A general rule is that any car which is more than 15 years old and is worth in excess of £15,000 is considered a classic car.
Chauffeur insurance is no different from normal types of car insurance in terms of the levels of cover (third party etc.). If you are a chauffeur, then you are likely driving a car that isn’t owned by you. You need to be sure that you are covered for any type of damage which will happen to the vehicle or the passengers inside it. Getting comprehensive chauffeur insuranceis the simplest way to ensure that you are fully covered. Statistically, the more you are on the road, the more likely it is you will be involved in an accident. Chauffeur insurance is a great way to cover you against anything that may cause your vehicle or you harm. The cars driven by chauffeurs tend to be expensive and high class – and are likely to be expensive to repair in the unlikely event of an accident – ensure that you have appropriate vehicle insurance to cover any costs.
American Car Insurance
The amount of American cars in the UK has increased significantly in the last 20 years. Many British citizens are seeing the benefits of American-manufactured cars and Insurerr can help you find appropriate vehicle insurance for these. American cars including the Ford Mustang and Lincoln Continental were previously unavailable in the UK, these have now been released in the UK allowing us to have a taste of the American dream. More and more American car manufacturers are now releasing models in the UK, leading to an increased need for American car insurance.
Motor Fleet Insurance
Motor fleet insurance is a type of vehicle insurance in the UK which allows you to cover numerous cars, bikes, vans or trucks under the one policy – saving you money. If you are looking to insure 2 or more vehicles under one account for your own personal or business use, then motor fleet insurance could be the best option for you. The more vehicles you insure on the one policy, the more of a discount you will receive. Although, in order to qualify for motor fleet insurance, the driver(s) must have no more than one occupation and the vehicles must not be used for private hire or risky activities including rallies.
4 x 4 Insurance
4×4 Insurance is vehicle insurance designed specifically for covering 4x4s. This is typically a higher insurance ground when it comes to cover. This is because the repair costs and cost of spare parts for these types of vehicles tends to be more expensive. If you are a 4×4 owner, you will be aware that they are typically more expensive vehicles to buy and therefore more expensive to insure. This is not to say that you can’t still make good savings. Use Insurerr to compare quotes to find the best price for your 4×4 vehicle insurance.
Motor Trade Insurance
Motor trade insurance is a type of vehicle insurance in the UK which covers a whole variety of aspects including vehicle sales and servicing, mechanics, valeters, breakdown services, car trades and more. Truthfully, this type of vehicle insurance is invaluable to those who deal in the motor trade industry. You must be careful though, many take out a cheap version of this vehicle insurance in order to get cover for driving any type of vehicle. You have to be a full or part time motor trader in order to qualify for this. The majority of insurance companies will now ask for proof that you are a genuine motor trader before offering you a policy.
What You Will Need to Take Out Vehicle Insurance
If you are interested in taking out some form of vehicle insurance, then you will need to provide a few simple details for us to get started. The information required to take out vehicle insurance is fairly straightforward and should only take a few minutes for you to provide. Once we have this information we can begin to supply you with vehicle insurance quotes – allowing you to see the best deals out there! The information you provide will determine the price you receive for your quote. In order to provide you with any type of vehicle quote, we will need from you:
- Details About Your Vehicle(s) – Information about your vehicle(s) would include; make/model, year of registration, annual mileage and the estimated value of the vehicle(s)
- Your Personal Details – Just some basic information about you; name, address, age, occupation, marriage status and a few other small details.
- Details of Other Drivers Using the Vehicle – If the car will be driven by other drivers, we will require their details also. this will include names and driving license numbers.
- No Claims Discount (NCD) – We can try and get you the best quote possible if you give us details on your No Claims and this may lead to a discount on the price you receive.
- Driving License History – We will require the details of your driving license and a few other small details to get you on the way to cheap vehicle insurance!
Getting Vehicle Insurance with Insurerr
Our aim at Insurerr is to make getting your vehicle as simple as possible. Not only this, we aim to provide our customers with the best possible quote for insuring their vehicle. If you are worried about the process of getting vehicle insurance, we are here to walk you through the process with ease. Simply choose the type of vehicle insurance which is most relevant for you. Once you have done this, fill out the relevant details in order for us to provide you with an accurate quote. The details you fill out will directly affect your quote price so ensure that you pay attention to detail and are honest when filling out your information.
Once you have done this, we will return a quote to you as soon as possible. Getting cheaper vehicle insurance couldn’t be simpler with Insurerr!